Why Use This Pattern
An optional web component used to request feedback about the web page. Rating selector is in radio button format, with a comment box for feedback. The user is able to promote a specific region of content
to decide democratically which content is of highest quality.
What is the Solution
This pattern is much like 'Vote to promote' pattern. It differs in that it is meant to allow users to guide other users through what is good and bad, rather than to promote what is interesting. The pattern consists of a number of cohesive elements:
- Voting mechanism. Provide a mechanism for users to rate an item on a numeric scale. The most popular scale is 1-5, where a rating of one is worse than a rating of 5. A user gets one vote and can possibly add an explanatory comment along with the rating. When a user rates an item, feedback that the rating has been recorded should be provided back to the user.
- Display the average rating an item has received. The average of all ratings an item has received shows the perceived quality of an item, and will guide new users in whether an item is worthwhile.
- Display explanatory comments from users rating an item. An item can often be rated either low or high for a number of different reasons all originating from different users’ subjective opinion. A perceived flaw by one user is not necessarily a perceived flaw of another. To add more quality and depth to the given ratings, allow the users to review an item by letting them explain themselves in free text.
- Show the highest rated items. Sum up the highest rated items in lists on a main page.
- Favor quality items. Favor items rated high in search results, when browsing tags, and showing related information.
- Related items. When showing one item, use the given ratings for that item, as well as other items, to show what other people rated the item in question.
When to Use This Pattern
- A mechanism is needed to handle risk for users: is an item of content worthwhile spending time and/or money on?
- It would be beneficial for users’ to help democratically decide what content is of higher quality.
- It is of value to let the voice of your users guide other users in what is good and bad.
- There is a large user-base.
- One can trust users’ subjective opinion on what items are of a higher quality or relevance than others.
Do Not Use This Pattern
Do not use this pattern when there is In small user base community. A large user base and strong community is important to have in order for the voting to have relevance and meaning.